LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK
Consumer Law Staff Attorney
Located in New York, must live in NYS
Full-time, Min 35hr/ week
Salary: $68,165 – $77,608, DOE, plus generous benefits
The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, a nonprofit civil legal services program, is seeking a Consumer Law Staff Attorney. Legal Aid’s mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society that is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. Our service area spans sixteen counties, in upstate New York, encompassing six regional offices. This position can be based out of our Albany Office. For more information about our work, our staff, and our clients, visit www.lasnny.org.
Consumer Law Project: The staff attorney will serve in our Albany office. The position is dedicated to enforcing legal protections in economic transactions and to securing economic justice for low-income consumers. The LASNNY Consumer Law Project focuses on the financial well-being of low-income households by protecting income and assets, securing access to the necessities of life, including a financial life, promoting a fresh start when needed, mitigating financial crises related to or the cause of other household crises and assisting low-income household in making informed economic and financial choices.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to helping consumers address individual and systemic problems related to economic security and stability by providing high-quality legal services to low-income clients.
- Must be an expert or become an expert in a broad range of consumer issues and law, practice expertly in many forums in five counties, conduct an effective community legal education including clinics, and know your rights events.
- Must be able to identify and address systemic legal problems and work collaboratively with other LASNNY staff to ensure delivery of a full range of legal services to clients served by the Albany office.
- Occasional travel is required to co-counsel and/or conduct litigation or other advocacy strategies in other counties of the service area to advance the training and systemic advocacy goals of LASNNY.
- Must be intelligent, hardworking, careful, reliable, have good judgment, and attention to detail.
- Must communicate effectively with clients and staff and work independently and efficiently.
- Good computer skills.
- Must have a car and a valid driver’s license.
- Strong preference for lived experience, ability to speak Spanish, and demonstrated creativity and experience in using varied legal tools and strategies to secure systemic outcomes on behalf of low-income consumers.
Staff Attorney Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The Attorney is responsible for providing legal assistance in consumer law matters involving the essentials of economic life: utility disputes and shut-offs, consumer debt including medical and student loan debt, wage garnishment, frozen assets, debt management, bankruptcy, automobile repossession and violations of debt collection, credit reporting, and other consumer protection statutes.
- The attorney will be expected to provide a full range of legal services, affirmative and defensive litigation, systemic advocacy, bankruptcy proceedings, administrative hearings, counsel and advice, conducting consumer debt clinics, and providing community legal education.
- They will also participate in the implementation of LASNNY’s race equity priority and their own professional development plan.
This position operates in a professional law office environment and occasionally may require the carrying of items of up to 20 pounds. This role requires the use of standard office equipment and software and remote videoconferencing platforms. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
We are a unionized program with excellent benefits, offering generous time off, excellent health insurance coverage with premiums primarily paid by LASNNY, health and long-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, tuition reimbursement, qualifying moving expenses, and flexible hybrid -remote and alternative work schedules.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
To apply, please go to www.lasnny.org OR
Complete the Application linked here, or
Complete the Demographic Survey linked here
At LASNNY we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQI+ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, older adults and people with disabilities.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at LASNNY and we will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.