LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK
Reports to: Director of Finance and Accounting
Located in New York, must live in NYS
Full-time, Min 35hr/ week, with occasional work requirements outside of normal work hours
Rate – $75,000-$100,000, DOE, plus generous benefits
The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, a nonprofit civil legal services program, is seeking an experienced Accounting Manager professional. Legal Aid’s mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society that is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. Our service area spans sixteen counties, in upstate New York, encompassing six regional offices. This position is based in our Albany, New York office. For more information about our work, our staff, and our clients, visit www.lasnny.org.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or equivalent required.
- Minimum of five years of experience in accounting, non-profit financial management, or a related field.
- Thorough understanding of practices, theories, and policies involved in non-profit accounting and financial management;
- Supervisory experience.
- CPA license and Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field;
- More than 7 years’ experience in accounting or non-profit financial management or related field;
- More than 3 years’ experience supervising direct reports;
- Experience with the Federal Single Audit and other grant audits;
- Experience with grants management systems, such as Grants Gateway;
- Experience with cashflow analysis and building a cashflow forecasting system;
- Experience with automated AR/AP systems, such as bill.com
Additional Skills and Qualifications
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills, particularly in Excel;
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to multi-task and prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and manage your time and the time of your supervisees;
- Excellent writing and communications skills including writing content and reports;
- Ability to respond effectively to grantors and grantees, supervisee’s needs, client’s needs, and the needs of the organization; and
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
Accounting Manager Responsibilities:
- Assist in overseeing Accounting operations, which include financial reporting, accounts payable, account reconciliations, and payroll.
- Assist in overseeing the system of internal controls over accounting functions to minimize risk.
- Assist in overseeing the preparation of periodic financial statements and the corporate annual report.
- Support day to day operations in the Fiscal Department including preparing billing vouchers and invoices for various grants as assigned.
- Maintain the general ledger and subsidiary ledger accounts, including preparing and posting on-going, adjusting, and closing journal entries.
- Oversee the accounts payable process to pay vendors timely and accurately while also utilizing all credits due.
- Oversee the preparation of bank deposits and ensure accurate processing of accounts receivable.
- Oversee the month-end close and reconciliation process.
- Assist the Director of Finance in preparing monthly financial statements including income statement, balance sheet, statement of cash flows, and monthly budget-to-actual variance reports.
- Detect any accounting anomalies and/or issues and report them to the Director of Finance.
- Assist on special projects including year-end closing of the financial books.
- Ensure that financial reports comply with generally accepted accounting principles or financial reporting standards.
- Assist external auditors and provide required statements and information for audits.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government legal and regulatory requirements.
- Identify and recommend updates to accounting processes and procedures.
- Assist the Director of Finance as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
This position operates in a professional law office environment and occasionally may require the carrying of items of up to 20 pounds. This role requires the use of standard office equipment and software and remote videoconferencing platforms. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Salary and Benefits
Please note that the salary is based on experience, between $75,000-$100,000, plus generous benefits. Health/Dental/Vision, TSA/Retirement, Vacation, Sick and Personal PTO, Moving Expenses, College Tuition Assistance/Loan Repayment, Professional Licenses, Professional Memberships, and flexible hybrid-remote and alternative work schedule options.
To apply, please go to www.lasnny.org OR
Complete the Application linked here, or
Complete the Demographic Survey linked here
At LASNNY we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQI+ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, older adults, and people with disabilities.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at LASNNY and we will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.