LEGAL SECRETARY – Reception and Intake
POSITION: Legal Secretary located in the Albany office of the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York primarily supporting intake and reception in the Albany office. The LASNNY Albany office provides free legal assistance in civil legal matters to low income residents of Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady, Columbia and Greene Counties. LASNNY’s mission is to secure basic needs, protect and preserve legal rights, provide equal access to justice and seek fairness and dignity for our clients.
- Perform reception and client intake duties. Manage a complex multi-line telephone system and greet customers and visitors. Work closely with other legal secretaries in the Albany office and other four LASNNY offices, as needed. Work closely with Deputy Director of Strategic Operations, the Managing Attorneys and other staff to ensure that the intake and phone system runs smoothly and effectively.
- Respond to requests for assistance and conduct intake interviews to quickly determine eligibility and the general nature of the legal problem and make initial determinations of programmatic eligibility and case assignment. Provide rudimentary legal information and referrals.
- Coordinate information about various LAS special projects, eligibility and initial case assignment to ensure a uniform and efficient intake system.
- Provide and coordinate information, referrals, and the provision of brochures and legal information to the public by members of the Albany office support staff.
- Track and respond to requests for legal assistance from outside the service area.
- Maintain appearance of Albany office waiting room, including the posting of up to date and useful information in the waiting room.
- Work with managers and other staff to ensure efficient and effective utilization of the phone system and to develop and maintain other office systems and intake procedures.
- Perform secretarial, clerical and administrative functions necessary to the effective representation of clients and the administration of the Albany office, such as preparation of legal documents, non-legal work product, mail sorting, entering reminders in case management system, and assisting in communication between clients, courts, adverse parties and legal staff.
- Assist legal staff in performing legal and administrative tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Maintain courteous and professional contact with clients, opposing counsel, courts, visitors, callers and agencies.
- Substantial computer responsibilities, including data entry of client and case information in the LAS case management system or other data bases.
- Be a notary public and perform such duties as needed.
- Provide legal secretarial, clerical and administrative support to other LASNNY staff as assigned or needed.
- Minimum 3 years prior secretarial experience including operating a multi line telephone reception system in a busy office setting, with strong preference for legal secretarial experience.
- Experience in managing a multiple line phone system utilized for responding to requests for assistance from the public and following multiple rules and protocols for securing detailed information from callers and determining appropriate response, and contemporaneously entering information obtained and responses provided in computer data base.
- Must be willing and able to learn LASNNY case management system and be proficient in Microsoft Office and type 50 WPM.
- Must have strong computer skills and experience in utilizing spreadsheets, performing data entry, reporting and running reports in databases preferred.
- Strong preference for experience in creating spread sheets or other systems for tracking policies, procedures, case assignments or similar information, managing a significant data base or other reporting systems and being responsible for producing and interpreting accurate reports.
- Must be responsible, reliable, punctual, flexible, detail oriented, well organized, careful, well organized, able to prioritize and think independently, and understand and apply a wide variety of policies and rules. Must be able to work collaboratively in a fast paced environment.
- Must have strong communications skills and be willing to learn case management program and other data bases. Must have strong communication skills, understanding and sensitivity to low income persons and demonstrated ability to work well with colleagues in joint projects and implementing office systems.
- Must have car and valid drivers’ license and must be willing to travel as needed within the service area.
- Must be willing to work reasonable overtime when requested.
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
Salary: $27,491 – $36,114, DOE. We are a unionized program with excellent fringe benefits.
Closing Date: October 9, 2020
A cover letter, resume and references must be submitted with application.
2) Complete the Demographic Survey linked here
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, the elderly, applicants and recipients of public assistance, LGBT persons, protected veterans and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.