The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York is a nonprofit civil legal services program with locations in Albany, Rensselaer. Schenectady, Columbia, and Greene Counties. Our mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society which is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. We are seeking an Assistant Staff Accountant to provide a full range of financial and accounting assistance to the Fiscal Department. This position is in our Albany office.
The Assistant Staff Accountant will assist the Fiscal Director and Staff Accountant’s work and projects on an individual and team basis. He or she will assist & support and report directly to the Fiscal Director. The individual must be able to timely and accurately prepare accounting and financial reports and deliver consistent and accurate information on a timely basis. Must have demonstrated organizational skills in various accounting related tasks. This is an exempt position.
Assistant Staff Accountant’s Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the general ledger and subsidiary ledger accounts, including post and prepare opening, adjusting and closing journal entries.
- Perform account reconciliations between the general ledger and subsidiary ledger, and between the general ledger and financial statements.
- Prepare and process bank deposits and accounts
- Ensure timely receipt of receivable accounts and follow-up to maintain cash flow.
- Assist Fiscal Director and Staff Accountant as needed in preparing financial statements including income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows.
- Detect any accounting anomalies and issues and reporting them to the Fiscal Director.
- Support day to day operations in the Accounting Department including preparing billing vouchers and invoices for various grants as assigned.
- Assist the Fiscal Director and Staff Accountant as needed.
- Assist on special projects including year-end closing of the financial books.
- Assist with annual audit or any audit or monitoring by funders.
Staff Accountant Assistant’s Education and Qualifications
- Required: Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year accredited University or College in accounting or finance.
- Required: 1 year or more previous job experience in related field.
- Must possess good mathematical skills to be able to work accurately with accounting data.
- Proficient skills in office applications including Outlook, MS Word including advanced knowledge of MS Excel.
- Knowledge of various accounting software and applications. Prior experience with Fund-EZ accounting software a plus.
- Must possess good communication and interpersonal skills and be a willing team player.
- Must be detail oriented and accurate in work.
- Must have good organizational skills.
- Must possess excellent multitasking skills and should be able to handle various responsibilities successfully.
- Willing to work extra hours as needed in order to complete work assignments within stipulated deadlines. Position may require extended hours or weekends to accommodate LASNNY’s needs.
Salary and Benefits
Up to $50,000 annually DOE with excellent benefit package that includes health insurance, paid vacation, sick and personal days.
Posting Close Date: June 15, 2023
A cover letter, resume and references must be submitted with application.
To apply, please go to www.lasnny.org OR
1) Complete the Application linked here, or the mobile-friendly application linked here
2) Complete the Demographic Survey linked here
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ persons, applicants and recipients of public assistance, the elderly, protected veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.