LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK
Domestic Violence and sexual assault Staff Attorney- Amsterdam/Fulton
Located in New York, must live in NYS
Full-time, Min 35hr/ week
Salary: $59,794 – $78,384, DOE, plus generous benefits
The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, a nonprofit civil legal services program, is seeking a Staff Attorney for our Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault program. Legal Aid’s mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society that is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. Our service area spans sixteen counties, in upstate New York, encompassing six regional offices. This position is based out of any of our Amsterdam offices. For more information about our work, our staff, and our clients, visit www.lasnny.org.
Staff Attorney: The staff attorney will serve in our Amsterdam office. The Attorney with provide civil legal services to victims of crime especially domestic violence and/or sexual assault and to low-income people in Amsterdam and Fulton.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and providing high-quality legal services to clients in civil matters.
- Sensitive and effective management of a robust litigation caseload involving sensitive and traumatic circumstances.
- Must be assertive, compassionate, demonstrate good judgment, be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to communicate effectively and work efficiently.
- Must work well both independently and with close supervision.
- Must have a car and a valid New York driver’s license.
- Excellent computer, research, and writing skills.
- Prior experience in high-quality representation of victims of domestic violence and/or sexual assault in Family Court or relevant experience.
- The ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
Staff Attorney Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- An assertive and compassionate attorney is needed to provide high-quality culturally competent civil legal services to victims of crime especially domestic violence and/or sexual assault and to low-income people in the Amsterdam, New York Legal Aid office.
- The attorney will be responsible for providing advice, brief service, community legal education, and zealous representation to crime victims especially victims of domestic violence and/or sexual assault in a broad range of civil matters including orders of protection, custody, matrimonial law, and child support.
- Responsible for implementation, recordkeeping, and reporting for assigned grants.
- The attorney will be expected to work closely with the local domestic violence service provider in Fulton County, and actively participate in domestic violence task forces.
This position operates in a professional law office environment and occasionally may require the carrying of items of up to 20 pounds. This role requires the use of standard office equipment and software and remote videoconferencing platforms. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
We are a unionized program with excellent benefits, offering generous time off, excellent health insurance coverage with premiums primarily paid by LASNNY, health and long-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, tuition reimbursement, qualifying moving expenses, and flexible hybrid-remote and alternative work schedules.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
To apply, please go to www.lasnny.org OR
Complete the Application linked here, or
Complete the Demographic Survey linked here
At LASNNY we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQI+ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, older adults, and people with disabilities.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at LASNNY and we will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.