LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK
Housing and Economic Justice Staff Attorney- Amsterdam Office
Located in New York, must live in NYS
Full-time, Min 35hr/ week
Salary: $59,794 – $78,384, DOE, plus generous benefits
The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, a nonprofit civil legal services program, is seeking a Staff Attorney. Legal Aid’s mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society that is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. Our service area spans sixteen counties, in upstate New York, encompassing six regional offices. This position is based out of the Amsterdam Office. For more information about our work, staff, and clients, visit www.lasnny.org.
Housing and Economic Justice Project: The staff attorney will serve in our Amsterdam office. The attorney will provide assistance for low-income individuals and families in Fulton, Montgomery, and Schoharie counties
- Must be committed to ending homelessness, advocating for homeless families, and serving the low-income community.
- Must be compassionate, intelligent, hardworking, careful, reliable, and resourceful, have good judgment, attention to detail, and demonstrate sensitivity to the challenges facing low-income and homeless families.
- Must be able to pragmatically solve problems, spot and resolve legal issues, and work well with adversaries, LAS staff attorneys, and others in the community.
- Must be able to work well as part of a team.
- Must have a clean and valid NYS driver’s license and vehicle.
- Good computer and administrative skills.
- Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish is a plus.
Staff Attorney Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Duties include providing legal assistance to families who are at risk of homelessness with landlord-tenant issues, public benefits, and unemployment.
- This includes conducting client interviews and assessments; representation in court in eviction proceedings; and/or representation in administrative proceedings advocating for the client’s access to services and government benefit programs (such as public benefits, childcare, and unemployment).
This position operates in a professional law office environment and occasionally may require the carrying of items of up to 20 pounds. This role requires the use of standard office equipment and software and remote videoconferencing platforms. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
We are a unionized program with excellent benefits, offering generous time off, excellent health insurance coverage with premiums primarily paid by LASNNY, health and long-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, tuition reimbursement, qualifying moving expenses, and flexible hybrid-remote and alternative work schedules.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
To apply, please go to www.lasnny.org OR
Complete the Application linked here, or
Complete the Demographic Survey linked here
At LASNNY we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQI+ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, older adults and people with disabilities.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at LASNNY and we will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.