Human Resources Associate
Reports to Director of Human Resources
The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, a nonprofit civil legal services program, is seeking an experienced Human Resource Associate. The position is located in our Albany, New York office. Legal Aid’s mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society that is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. Our service area spans sixteen counties with six regional offices. For more information about our work, our staff, and our clients, visit www.lasnny.org.
The Human Resource Associate will run the daily functions of the Human Resource (HR) department including hiring and interviewing staff, administering pay, benefits, leave, diversity and inclusion, enforcing agency policies and practices, and ensuring legal compliance and implementation of the organization’s mission and talent strategy.
- Must have reliable transportation and driver’s license.
Required Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required; or
- At least 3 years of human resource assistant/administrative experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- five years’ experience working in human resources.
- Experience with Unionized Staff, Collective Bargaining Agreement and grievance procedures; and
- Ability to speak Spanish.
- Assist with recruiting, scheduling interviews, and facilitating the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions.
- Conducts or acquires background checks and employee eligibility verifications.
- Assist in implementing new hire orientation.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date resource files, records, and documentation.
- Provides great customer service to applicants and LASNNY employees relative to standard policies and procedures; benefits, hiring processes, etc..; refers more complex questions to appropriate senior-level HR staff.
- Maintains the integrity and confidentiality of human resources records and files.
- Performs periodic audit of HR files and records to ensure that all required documents are collected and filed appropriately.
- Provides clerical support for the Human Resources Department.
- May assist with payroll functions including processing, answering employee questions, and fixing processing errors.
- Acts as liaison between the organization and external benefit providers and vendors, which may include health, disability, and retirement plan providers.
- Assists with planning and execution of special events such as benefits enrollment, organization-wide meetings/trainings, employee recognition events, holiday parties, and retirement celebrations.
- Implements and maintains Human Resource Management System (HRIS) to track critical data for recruitment, onboarding, and retention.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS and talent management systems.
This position operates in a professional law office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment and software and remote videoconferencing platforms.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Salary and Benefits
Please note that the salary is based on experience, between $45,000-$55,000, plus generous benefits.
At LASNNY we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, older adults and people with disabilities.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at LASNNY and we will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Closing Date: May 8, 2023, or Until Filled
To apply, please go to www.lasnny.org OR
- Complete the Application linked here, or the mobile-friendly application linked here
- Complete the Demographic Survey linked here