LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK
Legal Secretary- Canton Office
Located in New York, must live in NYS
Full-time, Min 35hr/ week
Salary: $32,847 – $40,670 DOE, plus generous benefits
The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, a nonprofit civil legal services program, is seeking a Legal Secretary for the Canton Office. Legal Aid’s mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society that is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. Our service area spans sixteen counties, in upstate New York, encompassing six regional offices. This position is based out of the Canton Office. For more information about our work, our staff, and our clients, visit www.lasnny.org.
Legal Secretary: The Legal Secretary will serve in our Canton Office, and will be supporting reception, intake, legal staff, and the operation of the Canton office and provide free legal assistance in civil legal matters to low-income residents of St. Lawrence County
- Minimum two years prior secretarial experience, with a preference for legal secretarial experience.
- Experience managing a multiple-line phone system utilized for responding to requests for assistance from the public, following multiple rules and protocols for securing detailed information from callers and determining the appropriate response, and contemporaneously entering information obtained and responses provided in a computer database.
- Preference for experience in managing a database or other reporting systems and being responsible for producing accurate reports.
- Must be responsible, reliable, punctual, flexible, intelligent, detail-oriented, careful, well organized, able to prioritize and think independently, and understand and apply a wide variety of policies and rules. Must be able to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have strong communications skills and sensitivity to low-income and marginalized populations, such as LGBTQ persons, domestic violence survivors, disabled individuals, and people of color.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and type 50 WPM, Have strong computer skills, and utilize spreadsheets, data entry, and reporting.
- Must have a vehicle and clean driver’s license and must be willing to travel as needed primarily in the counties served by the Canton office.
- Must be willing to work reasonable overtime when requested.
- Bilingual and able to read, write, and speak Spanish and English proficiently a plus.
Legal Secretary Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform receptionist duties. Operate a complex multi-line telephone system and greet customers and visitors. Respond to requests for assistance and conduct intake interviews to quickly determine eligibility and the general nature of the legal problem and make an initial determination of programmatic eligibility and case assignment.
- Enter data into LASNNY’s case management system.
- Work closely with the supervisor to ensure that the intake system runs smoothly and effectively.
- Maintain courteous and professional contact with clients, opposing counsel, courts, and agencies.
- Assist legal staff in maintaining client contact and gathering relevant client documents.
- Assist legal staff in performing legal and administrative tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Provide administrative, record-keeping, and reporting support for legal staff and work to complete necessary client forms, paperwork, data entry, and grant reporting.
- Substantial computer responsibilities, including data entry in grant-specific databases, including data entry in the LASNNY case management system and other spreadsheets necessary to maintain required case and administrative information. Ensure timely and accurate data collection and reporting by legal staff. Troubleshoot reporting problems. Run reports and correct data as needed.
- Provide support for outreach, training, or clinics.
- Assist in grant reporting as requested.
- File Canton office closed case files and maintain on-site office file storage
- Provide legal secretarial, clerical, and administrative support to other LASNNY staff as assigned or needed.
- Be a notary public or willing to become a notary public and perform such duties as needed.
This position operates in a professional law office environment and occasionally may require the carrying of items of up to 20 pounds. This role requires the use of standard office equipment and software and remote videoconferencing platforms. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
We are a unionized program with excellent benefits, offering generous time off, excellent health insurance coverage with premiums primarily paid by LASNNY, health and long-term disability insurance, retirement contributions, tuition reimbursement, qualifying moving expenses, and flexible hybrid-remote and alternative work schedules.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2023
To apply, please go to www.lasnny.org OR
Complete the Application linked here, or
Complete the Demographic Survey linked here
At LASNNY we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQI+ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, older adults, and people with disabilities.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at LASNNY and we will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.