LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK
LEGAL SECRETARY – Plattsburgh Office
Position: Legal Secretary located in the Plattsburgh office of the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York. The LASNNY Plattsburgh office provides free legal assistance in civil legal matters to low income residents of Clinton, Essex, Franklin and Hamilton Counties. LASNNY’s mission is to secure basic needs, protect and preserve legal rights, provide equal access to justice and seek fairness and dignity for our clients.
- Perform receptionist duties. Operate a complex multi-line telephone system and greet customers and visitors. Respond to requests for assistance and conduct intake interviews to quickly determine eligibility and the general nature of the legal problem and make initial determination of programmatic eligibility and case assignment.
- Enter data into LASNNY’s case management system.
- Work closely with Deputy Director for Regional Offices and Managing Attorney to ensure that intake system runs smoothly and effectively.
- Maintain courteous and professional contact with clients, opposing counsel, courts and agencies.
- Assist legal staff in maintaining client contact and gathering relevant client documents.
- Assist legal staff in performing legal and administrative tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Provide administrative, record keeping and reporting support for legal staff and work to complete necessary client forms, paperwork, data entry and grant reporting.
- Substantial computer responsibilities, including data entry in grant-specific data bases, including data entry in LASNNY case management system and other spread sheets necessary to maintain required case and administrative information. Ensure timely and accurate data collection and reporting by legal staff. Troubleshoot reporting problems. Run reports and correct data as needed.
- Provide support for outreach, trainings or clinics.
- Assist in grant reporting as requested.
- File Plattsburgh office closed case files and maintain on-site office file storage.
- Provide legal secretarial, clerical and administrative support to other LASNNY staff as assigned or needed.
- Be a notary public or willing to become notary public and perform such duties as needed.
- Minimum two years prior secretarial experience, with preference for legal secretarial experience.
- Experience in managing a multiple line phone system utilized for responding to requests for assistance from the public and following multiple rules and protocols for securing detailed information from callers and determining appropriate response, and contemporaneously entering information obtained and responses provided in computer data base.
- Must be willing to learn LASNNY case management program and grant reporting requirements, forms and reporting tools.
- Must have strong computer skills and experience in utilizing spreadsheets, performing data entry, reporting and running reports in databases.
- Preference for experience in managing a data base or other reporting systems and being responsible for producing accurate reports.
- Must be responsible, reliable, punctual, flexible, intelligent, detail oriented, careful, well organized, able to prioritize and think independently, and understand and apply a wide variety of policies and rules. Must be able to work collaboratively in a fast paced environment.
- Must have strong communications skills and sensitivity to low income and marginalized populations, such as LGBTQ persons, domestic violence survivors, disabled individuals, and people of color.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and type 50 WPM.
- Must have vehicle and clean drivers’ license and must be willing to travel as needed primarily in the four counties served by the Plattsburgh office.
- Must be willing to work reasonable overtime when requested.
- Preference for experience in managing a data base or other reporting system and responsibility for producing accurate reports.
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
Salary: $25,335 – 30,725 DOE. We are a unionized program with excellent fringe benefits.
Closing Date: COB Friday January 15, 2021
A cover letter, resume and references must be submitted with application.
2) Complete the Demographic Survey linked here
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, the elderly, applicants and recipients of public assistance, LGBT persons, protected veterans and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.