LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK
Managing Attorney – Canton Office
Reports to: Deputy Director
Located in New York, must live in NYS
Full-time, Min 35hr/ week, with some work requirements outside of normal work hours
Rate – $90,000-115,000, DOE, plus generous benefits
The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, a nonprofit civil legal services program, is seeking a Managing Attorney for our Canton Office. Our service area spans sixteen counties, in upstate New York, encompassing six regional offices.
For more information about our work, our staff, and our clients, visit www.lasnny.org.
The Managing Attorney (MA) supervises the Canton Office and legal issue areas as assigned, with staff in the Canton Office. The Managing Attorney will oversee the provision of high-quality civil legal services to clients as specified below.
The successful applicant will be committed to excellence, and passionate about achieving justice. The MA will be a creative and zealous lawyer, a strong administrator and supervisor, and a team player who enjoys leading and mentoring others. Minimum Requirements:
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar or eligible for admission on motion;
- Minimum of seven years of legal experience, including litigation;
- Eviction defense, foreclosure defense, bankruptcy law, consumer rights, disability law, family law, or advocacy experience;
- Excellent administrative skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Available to travel, work weekends and evenings as needed; and
- Reliable transportation and current NYS Driver License.
- Prior legal work supervision;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income persons with prior experience in legal services or similar programs;
- At least five year’s prior legal experience in the practice of civil law;
- At least three years prior experience in landlord/tenant, family law, or disability law;
- Prior management or supervisory experience working with staff, including law clerks;
- Extensive experience and skill using the Microsoft suite and Windows 365, including Outlook, SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; and
- Bilingual (Spanish preferred).
Additional Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to multi-task and prioritize workflow, meet deadlines, and manage your time and the time of your supervisees;
- Excellent writing and communications skills including writing content, reports, memorandum, motions, appeals, and public speaking and oral presentations;
- Extensive knowledge and experience conducting client interviews, depositions, and interrogatories;
- Ability to respond effectively to supervisee’s needs, client’s needs, and the needs of the organization; and
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
Managing Attorney Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of Canton Office and legal issue areas as assigned.
- Supervise the provision of a full range of civil legal services; supervise staff attorneys, paralegals, interns, law clerks, and other case handlers locally and in remote offices.
- Lead strategic engagement with, and education of community members, groups, and other stakeholders; engage in community outreach and education.
- Work with executive management team and staff to plan and coordinate the work of the program while ensuring timely adherence to program and case handling standards, funder requirements, and the highest professional standards.
- Work collaboratively as a team with other programs.
- Guide the professional development of staff, present CLE and other training.
- Be available as a resource to all LASNNY staff and access to justice communities.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position operates in a professional law office environment and occasionally may require the carrying of items of up to 20 pounds. This role requires the use of standard office equipment and software and remote videoconferencing platforms. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Application Deadline: January 20, or until filled
Please note that the salary is based on experience, plus generous benefits, including paid time off, holidays, medical/dental/vision insurance, retirement contributions, tuition reimbursement, and qualifying moving expenses. LASNNY offers flexible hybrid-remote and alternative work schedule options.
At LASNNY we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, older adults, and people with disabilities.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at LASNNY and we will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Applications will not be reviewed without a cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample. You must combine your documents into a single document to upload them to our website.
To apply, please go to www.lasnny.org OR
- Complete the Application linked here, or the mobile-friendly application linked here
- Complete the Demographic Survey linked here