The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York is a nonprofit civil legal services program with office locations in Albany, Amsterdam, Canton, Plattsburgh, Gloversville, and Saratoga. Our mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society which is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. We are seeking a Staff Accountant to provide a full range of financial and accounting assistance to the Fiscal Department. This position is in our Albany office.
The Staff Accountant will assist the Director of Finance’s work and projects on an individual and team basis. They will assist and support, and report directly to the Director of Finance. The individual must be able to timely and accurately prepare accounting and financial reports and deliver consistent and accurate information. Must have demonstrated organizational skills in various accounting-related tasks. This is a non-union, exempt position.
Staff Accountant’s Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the general ledger and subsidiary ledger accounts, including post and prepare opening, adjusting, and closing journal entries.
- Perform account reconciliations between the general ledger and subsidiary ledger, and between the general ledger and financial statements.
- Process accounts payable to pay vendors timely, accurately while also utilize all credits due
- Prepare and process bank deposits and accounts receivable.
- Ensure timely receipt of receivable accounts and follow-up to maintain cash flow.
- Assist Director of Finance in preparing monthly financial statements including income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows.
- Detect any accounting anomalies and issues and reporting them to the Director of Finance.
- Support day to day operations in the Fiscal Department including preparing billing vouchers and invoices for various grants as assigned.
- Assist the Director of Finance as needed.
- Assist on special projects including year-end closing of the financial books.
- Assist with annual audit or any audit or monitoring by funders.
Staff Accountant Education and Qualifications
- Required: Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year accredited University or College in accounting or finance.
- Required: 1 year or more previous job experience in related field.
- Must possess strong mathematical and analytical skills to be able to work accurately with accounting data.
- Proficient skills in office applications including MS. Outlook, MS Word including advanced knowledge of MS Excel.
- Knowledge of various accounting software and applications. Prior experience with Fund-EZ accounting software a plus.
- Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills and be a willing team player.
- Must be detail oriented and accurate in work.
- Must have good organizational skills.
- Must possess excellent multitasking skills and should be able to handle various responsibilities successfully.
- Willing to work extra hours as needed in order to complete work assignments within stipulated deadlines. The position may require extended hours or weekends to accommodate LASNNY’s needs during peak reporting seasons.
- Valid NY driver’s license and own transportation.
Salary and Benefits: From $52,000, DOE, with excellent benefits package that includes flexible work schedules and remote options, health insurance, paid vacation, sick and personal days.
Posting Close Date: Until Filled
A cover letter, resume and references must be submitted with application.
To apply, please go to www.lasnny.org OR
1) Complete the Application linked here, or the mobile-friendly application linked here
2) Complete the Demographic Survey linked here
At LASNNY we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, older adults, and people with disabilities.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at LASNNY and we will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.