Know the Facts About SNAP!
What is SNAP?
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the new name for the Food Stamp Program in New York State. SNAP is a government program that can boost your monthly budget for purchasing groceries.
What is NOEP?
The Nutrition Outreach and Education Program (NOEP) offers free and confidential services to connect hungry New Yorkers to nutrition assistance programs such as the SNAP program, the School Breakfast Program, and Summer Food Service Program.
What NOEP Can Do For You
- Evaluate your potential eligibility: We can calculate your income, living expenses, and other deductions, and assess if you may be eligible for SNAP benefits.
- Application Assistance: We can help you complete and submit the application. There is no longer a finger imaging requirement to apply and it can also be filled out online. We can meet you at a convenient location.
- Necessary Documents: We can help you gather and submit the necessary paperwork that you need to apply for SNAP.
- Professional Guidance: We can inform you of your rights as a SNAP applicant. We can advocate on your behalf to ensure your rights are being met according to SNAP regulations.
Other Helpful Information
- The SNAP program is an entitlement program. Anyone who applies and is eligible will receive the benefits they need.
- SNAP benefits are now automatically deposited on an electronic benefits transfer card (EBT). It works just like a debit card and is private and discreet.
- You can receive SNAP benefits and still receive WIC, Meals-On-Wheels, and other government benefit programs.
- You can own a home, car, and other personal property and still receive SNAP benefits.
- There will never be a lien placed on your home or car.
- Some immigrants who are not citizens may still receive SNAP benefits for themselves, their children, or other dependents.
- SNAP benefits are there for you in emergency situations.
- Most applications take 30 days to process, however, certain emergency situations may call for expedited SNAP benefits.
Nutrition Outreach and Education Program Service Locations:
95 Central Avenue, Albany, NY 12206
(518) 462-6765 ext. 327, (800) 462-2922 ext. 327
(518) 427-8352 (Fax)
100 Court Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
(518) 563-4022 ext. 112, (800) 722-7380 ext. 112
(518) 563-4058 (Fax)
40 North Main Street, Floor 2, Suite 17, Gloversville, NY 12078
(518) 810-9081, (800) 821-8347 ext. 227
(877) 324-1848 (Fax)
6 Market Street, Amsterdam, NY 12010
(518) 842-9466 ext. 225, (800) 821-8347 ext. 225
(518) 843-1792 (Fax)
40 New Street, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
(518) 587-5188 ext. 412, (800) 870-8343 ext. 412
(518) 587-0959 (Fax)
40 New Street, Saratoga Springsm NY 12866
(518) 587-5188 ext. 408, (800) 870-8343 ext. 408,
(518) 587-0959 (Fax)
For a free and confidential prescreening to find out if you might be eligible, or for SNAP application assistance, contact your local Nutrition Outreach and Education Program today!
Prepared by a project of Hunger Solutions New York, Inc., USDA/FNS, and NYSOTDA. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Click here to view the Nutrition Outreach and Education Program brochure in English
Haga clic aquí para ver el folleto del Programa de Extensión y Educación Nutricional en español