How to Get Help: Call us at 833-628-0087
If you need help, please contact us by phone. Intake continues by phone each day until the schedule is filled. Please phone early to ensure you are on the schedule for the day. Please have all relevant information (notices, documents, etc.) at hand when you contact us.
Per the request of the Governor of the State of New York, the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York is closing our physical doors effective 9am Monday, March 23, 2020. Legal Aid’s phone lines in every office will be open to assist you. While LASNNY’s offices may be closed for walk in traffic, lawyers and advocates will actively work with our clients and community partners throughout our service area to help protect our communities.
We are taking these steps in order to protect our clients, our staff, and our community from further spread of the corona virus.
Enter your zip code to find the office nearest you. We have offices in Albany, Amsterdam, Canton, Plattsburgh and Saratoga Springs.
Enter a zip code above to find the office closest to you.
If your problem is an emergency (as described below), explain your emergency to the receptionist and intake will be done even if the schedule is otherwise filled.
An emergency is:
- Court hearing or other legal deadline within five business days
- No food
- No shelter
- Child taken by CPS or an unauthorized person
- No utilities
- A victim of domestic violence with a safety issue
Everything you say at Legal Aid is confidential. If you are eligible for our help you will be called back by an attorney or a paralegal who will learn the facts of your case and discuss ways in which we may be able to help you.
English, Spanish. We can provide interpretation through a service called Language Line for the speakers of all languages.
Type of Help
How we handle your case depends on what it is you want, what it takes to solve your problem, and the availability of Legal Aid staff.
The following services are available, based on resources and your legal needs
- Full Representation: a lawyer or a legal advocate in court or at a hearing at a government agency.
- Brief Advice: consultation in person or over the telephone.
- Brief Service: such as making telephone calls or writing letters on your behalf.
- Pro Se Legal Clinic: you are shown how to “help yourself” with a particular legal problem.
- Referral: to another agency or program.
- Self-Help Materials
- Other workshops and other services including Nutrition Assistance or SNAP benefit enrollment.
Who We Serve
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Access for the deaf: through phone relay
- Income Guidelines: Generally, your family’s income should be at or below 200% of the poverty level. (MORE INFORMATION HERE) There may be higher income limits or no income limits depending on project or client.
- Citizenship: You must be a U.S. citizen or legal immigrant.
- This program does not generally serve prisoners.
The Legal Aid Society does not discriminate against applicants for services based on race, color, creed, marital status, national original, religion, sex, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or disability. If you believe you have been wrongfully denied services, you may file a grievance.
Do you feel that you have been wrongly denied our assistance?
Or are you unhappy with the manner or quality of the assistance we have provided?
If so, you have the right to complain. We have a form available for you to use. Please request one from our receptionist or click on the links for the online forms:
We will review your complaint, talk with you and decide whether you are right and what we can do for you.
Procedimiento de Quejas
¿ Siente usted que la fué negada nuestra asistencia erróneamente?
¿No esta usted satisfecho con la forma o la calidad de la asistencia provista?
Si así es, usted tiene el derecho de hacer una queja. Tenemos un formulario disponible para su uso. Por favor pida uno a la recepcionista or click on the links for the online forms:
Revisaremos su queja, hablaremos con usted, y decidiremos si usted tiene la razón, y que podemos hacer para usted.