Private Attorney Involvement Program
Private Attorney Involvement Program (PAI): A Rewarding and Fulfilling Journey
“Pro Bono Opportunities”
Pro bono volunteers allow the opportunity for justice for all, especially for those who come to the Legal Aid Society for help.
The need for legal services far outweighs attorney resources. Usually, we—YOU—are the only chance at ensuring our clients’ legal interests are protected and they receive a fair and just outcome—something everyone deserves. The PAI program facilitates this.
How does the referral process work?
Our staff initially reviews the client’s legal issue and decides if it warrants a referral. If it does, we contact you: first, to make sure you are available; second, to make sure you are interested in the legal issue. If you agree to take a case, we will send you a referral letter and all pertinent documents. The client will call your office and arrange to meet with you.
What volunteer opportunities exist?
If you enjoy negotiating or litigating, you could help a client in court or with government benefits. Rather not spend your time in court? Many clients need transactional help, such as preparing a will, health care proxy or deed. Clients may also need someone to act on their behalf to modify a wage garnishment, take care of a frozen bank account or handle a bankruptcy. Recently, many clients have sought assistance in getting their names legally changed.
Don’t want to take on case files? You may help out at our pro se divorce clinics or advice clinics. The legal issues of our clients are diverse, which allows us to refer cases that fit your experience and desire.
The Legal Aid Society offers numerous benefits to our PAI volunteer lawyers, which include:
- CLE credit (one credit for every two hours spent on a pro bono matter)
- Training Programs at no cost and for CLE credit
- Malpractice insurance (secondary)
- Reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses (up to $200 no approval required)
- Provide Certification of Indigency to cover cost of filing fees for qualifying clients
- Access to Westlaw via our PAI Paralegal
- “FREE PASS” (law students to provide free legal research)
- The greatest benefit is knowing that you made a difference to someone in need.
- We hope you decide to join us for a rewarding and fulfilling journey.
We welcome you to check out our website for upcoming trainings and events
Our newsletter, Legal Aid Matters, has a section dedicated to recognizing our PAI volunteers.