Are you living with or affected by HIV or AIDS?
- Were you denied Social Security benefits? Do you have bills you cannot pay?
- Are you being evicted from your home?
- Are you interested in planning for your future health care needs and decision-making?
- Do you wish to prepare a will or leave plans for your family upon your passing?
- Have you experienced discrimination because of your HIV status?
- Do you have another non-criminal legal problem for which you need assistance?
You may be eligible for Free Legal Services
The HIV/AIDS Law Consortium (HALC) is a collaboration between the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York (LASNNY) and Albany Law School’s Clinic and Justice Center. HALC was started in 2005 to provide free legal services to people in our communities who have been impacted by HIV/AIDS. HALC clients include individuals living with HIV/AIDS, parents living with HIV/AIDS with dependent children, and children living with or affected by HIV/AIDS and their guardians and caregivers. The LASNNY HALC attorney and Albany Law School Clinic may be able to provide advice, brief service, extended representation, and referrals. The service provided will depend on the individual circumstances of each case.
Free, Confidential Legal Services
If you are living with or affected by HIV/AIDS, then you may be eligible for FREE and CONFIDENTIAL legal services through HALC. FREE: You will never be charged a fee for our services. However, you may have to pay court costs and filing fees, depending on your income and the individual circumstances of your case. CONFIDENTIAL: The information that you tell HALC is confidential. The information is not disclosed to others without your permission.
Types of Cases We Handle
- We may be able to assist with many civil (not criminal) legal problems, including:
- Social Security: denials, terminations, and overpayments of Social Security benefits, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits.
- Health Care: Medicaid, Medicare, and private insurance.
- End of Life Planning: last wills, living wills, health care proxies, powers of attorney, and funeral directives.
- Housing: evictions, poor housing conditions, and termination of rental assistance.
- Public Utilities: utility shut-offs Public Benefits: denials, cut offs, and reductions in Public Assistance (Welfare), SNAP (Food Stamps), and other benefits.
- Consumer Protection: bankruptcy, debtor relief, and debt collection.
- Employment: employee benefits, job discrimination, wrongful discharge, and unemployment insurance benefits.
- Future Child Care Planning: standby guardianships, guardianships, and adoption subsidies.
- Individual Rights: discrimination, confidentiality, and medical privacy.
- Legal Name Changes
How to Reach Us
Please contact the HALC staff attorney directly at 518-462-6765, ext. 340, or toll free at 1-800-462-2922, ext. 340.
Counties We Serve
HALC is happy to accept client referrals from other service providers. If you are a service provider and you have a client who is interested in a referral, please contact the HALC staff attorney at (518) 462-6765, ext. 340.
HIV/AIDS LAW CONSORTIUM Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York
55 Colvin Avenue, Albany, NY 12206
Office Hours Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Contact the HALC Staff Attorney: 518-462-6765, ext. 340 Toll Free: 1-800-462-2922, ext. 340 Fax: 518-427-8352
The HIV/AIDS Law Consortium (HALC) is a collaboration of the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York and Albany Law School’s Clinic and Justice Center. HALC is funded by the AIDS Institute of the New York State Department of Health.